Wednesday, December 28, 2011

First day at my new job

After peaceful and short night, I got up later then usually 8h (now it is around: 6:20h). It is really good that I worked in my country before this, so I can compare things. Well, things can't compare, you will see why. At 8h, one guy from the company came to pick me up from my apartment. And guess what, that was my boss. In Serbia, they just told me, you should come here and here, at that time. No help, nothing. Yeah job was also in another city, 150km from mine. So first things that I can conclude is how much your boss care more about you in Belgium. After half an hour of travel and talking, we finally came to the company. It was in some village, but I didn't care about that. After entrance we entered engineering part of the plant. Getting inside and taking a look, it seemed like I am an main actor of some Hollywood movie, slowly walking through long office with more then 50 people. If you remember some ''business' movies you know what am I talking about. At the end of the office there was Infrastructure team, team that I will work with. My boss introduced me with other members of the team. The whole team (4 of them) were very pleasant, talking, smiling, asking funny questions. From the first contact with them, I saw it will be very pleasant and comfortable to work in that kind of environment. Today I have the same feeling when I come to the office. After introduction and half an hour of talking with members, explaining from where I am, and how I get there, I went to HR of my company. One note, that people were not negative when I told them that I am from Serbia. They don't have a bad image of my country, like some other people, and or course there is no reason for that. I met my HR manager and had one hour meeting with her to explain me everything that I will need to do, and that they will need to do. After few company policies, they gave me some crucial information's about some other, non-work related hints. Everybody were so pleasant to explain me everything that I asked for. After that meeting I went to pick up my company laptop, so I can start working. Of course first day is not planned for working, so I was reading those documents that HR gave to me. One interesting thing is that they made a photo of me, and put me on TV screens around plant and engineering department, so everyone can see that I am a new guy there. What a nice thing. HR management showed me hierarchy in Infrastructure and I was already in front of some people, because I am on a managerial position, and they are designers (Bachelor degree). So I was pretty surprised when they told me that I am responsible for them, and that I need to help them and lead them. Wow, I just finished my Master studies, and have a team to lead. Really nice feeling. They really made me feel like I am on the top of the World. Now to compare that with my first job in Serbia. I came to the city of Smederevo to start working as a contractor for a USSteel Serbia. Yeah everything was fine, boss was paying for a lunch for a new engineers, three of us. After that we came to the main office of the company, and we just sat there for 4 hours. Why? They didn't find us an apartment and also not a place to have lunch. They mentioned that we need to go home, and to come back for two days. Come on guys, I just came here to work and live, and they want to send me home before I even started working. Not a good start. Also boss (who finished Bachelor studies) acted like a God, he knows everything, and we don't know nothing. That is pure difference between Belgium and Serbia. In Belgium they explained me everything, why and how to do, and then if I had some good suggestions they listened and told me to do that, and to make a presentation, and comparison between old one and a new one, great isn't it?! After few hours working on my laptop, we had a lunch break, usually in Belgium (from 12h to 13h), and working time is from 8h to 17h, but even that I can change and I can make it more flexible for me, but 8 hours per day of working is an obligation. Lunch time and we are going to the company's restaurant. Hmm Belgian food. Yeah there is one problem, not so good. And when I say not so good, I mean in comparison with Serbian food. You have to try both to know what am I talking about, but OK, I have to adapt to a new things, no excuses. While having a lunch I talked with my colleagues and we were talking about situation in my country (really bad), and in their country (they were without government for one and a half year), so they tough that is bad. I would like that to happen in my country, no politicians, people to lead country, or even our king, like in Belgium. After lunch we went to the office again. I talked with my secretary about other things that I need to get (bank account, credit cards, car, mobile phone...). A lot of things. Back to Serbia, where I got just an mobile phone, after 2 months of working. Really sad, isn't it. After long and interesting day, colleague of mine drove me to my apartment. With a lot of things to think about I was sitting at my sofa, and reading policies. They are really strict, so must do that following instructions. A lot of things to think about while I am there.

3 comments:

  1. Its nice to see that you've settled down without major problems and what's more important, that you like your environment! Yeah - the fact that company takes care of you .. might be a little strange for ppl coming from Serbia, but that's the reality i guess .. :) Enjoy your work :) (hopefully you're enjoying it :D)

    ReplyDelete