Monday, December 26, 2011

First contact with Belgium country - part 2

When I entered my temporary apartment, I saw a lot of space, probably for the whole family. Of course it was furnished apartment with all things that you need to live peaceful and nice life. After my first few hours in apartment I was sad, because it was just temporary (3 months). After looking through the window I saw a beautiful weather outside, a lot of sun, and pretty warm weather. It was beginning of May, but to be honest I expected a lot of rain and colder weather then in my country. It is indeed, truth that more sun means higher moral and more enthusiasm to do things. After few minutes I unpacked my luggage, and started to read documents that my company left for me. Everything greatly explained, so no need for headaches, how and what to do. From some simple stuff, like where to find bakeries, shops to more complicated things like how to throw your trash. Yeah this is really complicated in Belgium, or it was for me, because I get used to put everything in one bag. There you have two bags, white bag for natural garbage (like food leavings and some similar things), blue bag where you throw your PMD (P - plastic, M - metal, D - drinking cardboard). So all things that are packed in those three, like milk, some cans... This is not so complicated, right. But when you need to keep those bags until one specific day when garbageman is coming to pick it up, then things are getting more complicated. White bag is thrown out every week (day depends on the zone of the city you are living), and for a blue bag every two weeks. I had some troubles, because for one week everything can happen in that bag, you can create a new world with bacterias and other bad things. Once it happened that after one week I find worms in my bag, and around it. There were not moving, but it is also scary and creepy to see them there in your kitchen. After that I pulled bag to the terrace and left it there. So some unpredictable things can happen with your garbage bag. How to throw out other things? For glass bottles you can find some specific places in the city, where you can come with your bottles and throw them into underground trash places. Because nothing is so simple in Belgium, you need to put bottles with dark glass in one dumpster, and light glass to another one. Well this is not so complicated, but... Also to throw out paper, you need to pick all paper that you have, and tied it up with some small rope or however, and then to put it outside of your house or building. This you also need to do with your garbage bags, evening before pick up day, to put bags in front of your house.  After few months I finally figured the whole system. At the end of the day I finally laid down in my bed to relax myself, because this was indeed a big step in my life. To be continued :).

No comments:

Post a Comment